Below is a snapshot of the Q2 & Q3 2023 recruiting and technical talent themes we’re observing — paired with insights on how we’re helping our clients navigate today’s market challenges in tandem with its unique talent opportunities.
Recruiting & Technical Talent | Themes & Observations from Q2 and Q3 2023
- Company culture and employee morale have taken a hit over the past year.
- This is due to a number of factors — one of which is employees are feeling professionally and geographically disconnected.
- Although hybrid work environments are 100% here to stay…
- More and more SPMB clients are insisting that their executive teams be willing to meet face-to-face with greater frequency, travel for team gatherings more often, and whenever possible, that we recruit candidates in time zones and geographies that complement the existing leadership team.
- What’s interesting is that this desire for connection and (to some extent) a return to office is coming from both the client/company AND candidate side. In short…
- Clients are seeking candidates in geographies with office proximity; and
- Candidates want the option of a hybrid environment.
- Revenue remains our clients’ #1 priority.
- As a result, companies are focused on feature development versus innovation and platform evolution.
- This may be fine in the short-term, but beware — the best engineering leaders don’t want to focus on just tactical initiatives. They want a seat at the table when it comes to longer-term strategy and initiatives.
- Bottom line — You won’t be able to attract the best talent if you can’t strike this balance with your engineering leadership.
- Data executives are becoming more aligned with Product (and wearing Product “hats” themselves).
- Companies are increasingly looking for ways to monetize the massive data sets that they’re often in possession of.
- So, while Data execs have traditionally focused on analytics and business intelligence for internal customers, we’re seeing more and more companies aligning Data with the Product organization to drive the development of external data products for customers and end-users.
- As a result, Data leaders with Product Management experience, or prior ownership of PM teams, will increasingly be in demand as monetization of data becomes a significant growth opportunity for most companies.
- Executive coaching and development.
- SPMB’s top performing clients know that leadership development is their #1 weapon in building a great company with highly engaged employees.
- These companies have made it their top priority to support their leaders with ongoing learning & development programs, executive coaching, and a culture of modern inclusion.
- We also speak regularly with seasoned executives across our network who are open to coaching or fractional engagements for companies and teams in which they can add significant value. Let us know if we can assist by making thoughtful introductions.
Solving our clients’ most challenging problems through talent acquisition has been and remains our top priority in both up and down markets. If we can help you take advantage of the current market conditions to expand or upgrade your leadership team, please contact us directly or visit us at spmb.com.